Home || The Aggressive Vision || Prophetic Word Of The Lord || On Line Library || Current Articles and What's New
Free Literature || Visions from The Lord || More About ACMTC || Contact
That Which is Perfect and Tongues
General James Green
I WOULD LIKE to present a thorough Bible study on the controversial subject of “speaking in other tongues” (Gk=Greek, glossolalia). The Bible tells us in 1 Thess. 5:21 to “prove all things; hold fast that which is good.” By God’s grace, I will endeavor to do this. I will prove that tongues have NOT passed away.
I’ve been wanting to give an in-depth study on this subject for years. I did several tapes on “How the Gifts Ceased” years ago, but I have a greater knowledge now than I did 14 years ago.
In a recent Christian (Lutheran) publication (Feb. 2005), there was an article written trying to tell the readers that “tongues have passed away.” Such questions listed here followed the lengthy article:
1) Is this a supernatural phenomenon?
2) Is it an altered state of consciousness, a form of hypnosis or hysteria, or a process of learned behavior?
3) Is modern day glossolalia identical with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost?
4) Is it true that modern glossolalia is a spiritual and not a rational language?
5) Is glossolalia the “language of the angels?”
6) Is glossolalia a manifestation that one has received the Holy Spirit and a fulfillment of the Latter Rain promised in Joel 2:28,29?
7) Is glossolalia as practiced by Christians different from glossolalia practiced by non-Christians?
8) Is Christian usage of glossolalia from God or, as others hold, from Satan and connected with the demonic?
9) What are the results of the investigations done by linguists of various specialties concerning the similarities between Christian glossolalia and pagan glossolalia?
10) Where does “speaking in tongues” originate from?
11) Do all Christians need to “speak in tongues”?
12) Who endorses “speaking in tongues”?
13) Does “speaking in tongues” lead to a closer walk with Christ?
14) Is “speaking in tongues” the future means to unite all Christians into one single Church?
All the above are good questions, and they can be answered. But, I want to concentrate on 1 Cor. 13:8-10 especially: “...whether there be tongues, they shall cease...”
As there are dozens of books on the “tongues” and “Baptism of the Holy Spirit” subject, I suppose I will be addressing people who know of this phenomenon.
Personally, I received the baptism of the Holy Ghost in 1971—along with my wife—and we were saved together. We’ve had the wonderful gift of tongues all this time, and we use our gift DAILY. But, also we do not belong to either a Pentecostal or a Charismatic Church. Our first five years of our Christian life in Christ, we did belong to a Pentecostal Organization. While studying for the ministry, we witnessed many miracles, and saw and experienced many manifestations of the Holy Spirit. Sadly, through the years, we’ve seen such foolishness enter into both the Pentecostal and Charismatic churches—whereby the Holy Spirit is mocked, abused, disobeyed, used etc...all in the name of “God.” But, this should not discourage us from seeking the baptism of the Holy Spirit—with evidence of speaking in other tongues—nor should we get discouraged at the way the Word (the Bible) of God is mocked, abused, disobeyed, used etc. by non-Spirit-filled believers.
To say the least, speaking in tongues has been manifested in nearly every Christian denomination up to this study (2005). Some estimate that between 140 to 380 million Christians engage in glossolalia worldwide. This ought to be alarming to the “unbelieving” believers that TONGUES HAS NOT CEASED AS THEY CLAIM...nor has the Bible ceased to be the final authority regarding the believer’s path to righteousness. The numbers grow daily too. God wants His people to speak in His heavenly language; He wants His people to experience the miraculous. Sure there are abuses, even counterfeits, but isn’t there the same thing out there: fake prophets, false teachers, fake shepherds etc.?—using the Bible to direct lambs and sheep into Hell!???